Teriyaki Chicken Rice (Inspired by the Changi Airport)
Japanese Short Grain Rice
Blue Food Colouring
or butterfly pea flower extract
Yellow Food Colouring
Japanese Rice Vinegar
Light Soy Sauce
small floret, chopped
Soft Processed Cheese
Roasted Sesame Sauce
How to cook
Prepare the Rice
- Wash and cook the rice in the following portions:
- White rice: 435g of rice, 435ml of water
- Pastel blue rice: 70g of rice, 70ml of water, blue food colouring
- Bright yellow rice: 70g of rice, 70ml of water, yellow food colouring
- Add rice vinegar, sugar and salt to a pot and heat just until sugar is completely dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Once rice is cooked, add in cooled vinegar solution.
Prepare the Teriyaki Chicken
- Fry sugar over medium heat for 8 minutes or until it becomes sticky and caramel-coloured. Glide chicken wings around pan until evenly coated. Add light soy sauce and water. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Add mirin and turn the wings over, then continue to cook for 3 minutes or until the sauce becomes sticky.
- Steam the broccoli until soft.
- Shape the Japanese rice against the image to form the control tower and clouds. Wrap some rice in cling film and compress it lightly to form a ball, then shape into desired elements.
- To create ‘aeroplanes’, separate the drumlets, mid wings and wing tips. Use the mid wing as the body of the aeroplane, and the wing tips as the aeroplane wings. Use a toothpick to prop up the wing in the foreground. Cut out small cheese squares for windows.
- Cut the Japanese seaweed according to the image to add details to the control tower.
- Plate the ingredients to form the Changi Airport scene.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Mini Chicken Satay (Inspired by the Singapore Flyer)
Beer Braised Chicken Nachos
Rice-Cooker Salt Baked Chicken
The Better Fish® Spicy Barramundi with Avocado and Corn Salsa
Curry Fried Rice
Chicken Caesar Wraps
Rice Cooker Laksa Fried Rice4.3 (3)
The Golden Platter
One-Pot-Meal Recipe: Chestnut Chicken Rice
Scrambled Eggs with Crispy Basil Chicken
Korean Army Stew, Christmas Edition
Pineapple Fried Rice
Rice Cooker “Claypot” Rice
Spaghetti Chili Garlic
Fragrant Rose Wine Chicken
Xi’an Spiced Chicken with Fragrant Rice
Softshell Chilli Crab Gua Bao
Cheesy Chicken Kimchi Noodles
Pumpkin Taro Rice
Chicken and Ham Roulade with Plum Sauce
Spicy Chicken Chilli Oil Noodles
Baked Soy Bean Chicken
Chicken Broccoli Salad