Rendang Shepherd’s Pie
cut into 4 inches and pounded
Kaffir Lime Leaves
Thick Coconut Milk
for the kerisik (toasted coconut)
pulp, for the tamarind liquid
white part only
soaked in warm water and deseeded
|Shepherd’s Pie Topping|
How to cook
- Soak dried chilies in warm water and deseeded.
- Blend the spice paste ingredients in a food processor until fine.
- To prepare the kerisik (toasted coconut), add the grated coconut to a dry wok and stir repeatedly until golden brown.
- To prepare tamarind liquid, add 2 tsp tamarind pulp soaked in 2 tbsp of warm water for the juice. Discard the seeds, once done.
- Heat the oil in a stew pot. Add the spice paste, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and cardamom pods. Stir-fry until aromatic.
- Add the minced beef, pounded lemongrass and turmeric leaf. Stir for 1 min.
- Add coconut milk, tamarind liquid and water. Simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently until the beef is almost cooked.
- Add the finely sliced kaffir lime leaves, kerisik (toasted coconut) and palm sugar. Stir to blend well with the beef.
- Set heat to low, cover the lid and simmer for 60-90 mins, or until the beef is tender and the gravy has dried up.
- Add more salt and sugar to taste.
- Remove visible spice remnants like star anise, turmeric leaf and lemongrass.
- While beef simmers, heat the oven to 180°C.
Prepare Shepherd’s Pie Topping
- Add cold water to the pot until potatoes (skin removed) are covered by 1 inch. Add salt to the water. Boil until they are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain, then mash with butter and thickened cream.
- Put the cooked beef into an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and ruffle with a fork.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the top turns golden brown and the minced beef is bubbling at the edges.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Pan Seared Australian Beef Flank Steak with Rendang Sauce
Rudolph’s Gin-gle5.0 (1)
Baby’s First Bolognese Sauce
Kellogg’s Raya Froot Loops
Kellogg’s Corn Flakes & Cheese-crusted Chicken
Santa’s Little Sliders
Stuffed Pumpkin Spiced Rice
Christmas Kuih Party
Beef Rendang with Turmeric Rice
Kellogg’s Corn Flakes Makmur Cookies
Pan Seared Australian Beef Ribeye with Rendang Sauce
Rudolph’s Frosty Margarita
Rendang Ayam Croffle
Pulled Beef Rendang with Local Veggies Slaw
Kellogg’s Lace Nibbles
Kellogg’s Rendang Crisps
Kellogg’s Corn Flakes Pitta Wonder
Lontong Sayur with Beef Rendang