Pulut Tai Tai
long and washed
Butterfly Pea Flowers
for blue pea flower
How to cook
Prepare the glutinous rice
- Rinse glutinous rice until water runs clear. This takes 3-4 washes.
- Then soak for 1 hour. After 1 hour, drain out the water. Place rice on a heat-proof bowl.
Prepare the butterfly pea flowers
- Add hot boiling water to dried butterfly pea flowers and let it steep for 10 min or until the water turns dark blue.
- Drain off the flowers, then strain to get blue tea.
Prepare coconut milk
- Mixing coconut cream, salt, sugar, water. The liquid shd be thin.
Prepare the pandan leaves
- Wash and cut banana leaves according to the shape of the cake tin. Then soak it in hot boiling water for 10 min.
- Remove and pat dry. Line the cake tin with the banana leaves.
- Wash and tie 2-3 Pandan leaves in a knot.
- Transfer the kaya into a piping bag. Then chill in the fridge for a few hours.
- Boil water in steamer on high heat. Then steam the rice for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn off heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Add coconut milk until the rice is just covered. Drizzle blue pea water all around. Then place the pandan leaves on top.
- Cover and steam for another 15 minutes.
- Press the rice into the lined cake tin and use a spatula to compress the rice. Cover with banana leaf.
- Let it cool for a few hours or overnight.
Assemble and serve
- Cut the pulut tai tai cake into desired shape.
- Pipe the kaya on top of the cake to decorate.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Peach & Blueberry Cheesecake
Durian Min Jiang Kueh
Peach Sponge Cake
Chocolate Chip Bread
Vanilla Chia Pudding
Muah Chee4.5 (2)
Blackcurrant Ice Cream
Bubur Cha Cha (Inspired by the Dragon Playground)
Jiufen Dessert Bowl5.0 (1)
New Zealand Natural Ice Cream Cookies
Strawberry Mochi5.0 (1)
Churros Ice Cream Bowl
Purple Sweet Potato Onde-Onde Energy Balls
Red Bean Soup Dessert using Pressure Cooker