PASAR Frozen Thawed Grey Prawns (deshelled & deveined, with the tail intact)
FairPrice Canola Oil
FairPrice Fine Salt
|Sweet and Sour Chilli Dipping Sauce|
Garlic Cloves (finely minced)
Red Thai Bird Chillies (finely minced)
Palm or Light Brown Sugar
Distilled White Vinegar
Fresh Lime Juice
|Wasabi Mayonnaise Dipping Sauce|
How to cook
Prepare the prawns and batter
- Wash the prawns and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Add the prawns to a mixing bowl and coat thoroughly with the seasoning, then set aside for 15 mins.
- Add the self-raising flour to another mixing bowl. Pour in the water slowly and mix until both ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add the salt, white pepper, and canola oil and continue mixing until it becomes lump-free, smooth batter. The batter’s consistency should be slightly thick, not watery.
Deep fry the prawns
- Heat oil on high heat in a pot; it is hot enough when you dip a chopstick in and you can see bubbles floating upwards. Make sure that there is sufficient depth to cover the prawns fully.
- Coat the well-seasoned prawns with the batter and lower them into the pot gently to prevent any hot oil splatters.
- Deep fry a few prawns at a time for better control as they cook very quickly. It should be done once the batter puffs up and turns a beautiful golden brown.
Prepare the dipping sauces to serve!
- Pound all the ingredients for the Sweet & Sour Chilli dipping sauce in a pestle and mortar. Set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients for the Wasabi Mayonnaise dipping sauce, and set it aside as well.
- Drain away excess oil from the prawns and serve warm with both dipping sauces!
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Wok-Fried Tangy Prawns with Sesame Soy Dressing
Assorted Grilled Yakitori (Japanese Skewers)
Seafood Pao Fan
Seafood Jjampong (Korean Spicy Seafood Noodles)
The Four Kings
Eight Treasures Tang Yuan
Thai Style Prawn Paste
Braised Stuffed Shiitake Mushrooms with Greens
The Golden Platter
Mozzarella Ebi Corn Fritters
Prawn Rice Rolls
Sambal Belacan with Mixed Vegetables
Chicken Karaage Bento (Inspired by the Singa Lion)
Love Bug Pie
Steamed Garlic Prawns4.7 (3)
5 Element of Paradise: Pineapple Prawn. Broccoli Prosperity. Lucky Tiger Fish. Chap Chye of Joy. Bowl of Wellness.