Japanese Omurice (Omelette Rice)
Gathering more reviews
·Rate this recipe
Boneless, skinless Chicken Thigh
Diced Yellow Onion
Cooked Short Grain Rice
How to cook
Prepare the rice
- Melt the butter in a 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent, 2 minutes more.
- Add 1 tablespoon of barbecue sauce and the ketchup, then stir in the rice.
- Cook until the rice is warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Place into the mould and invert on a plate. Keep the mould over the top to keep the rice warm while you prepare the eggs.
Prepare the eggs
- Beat the cream, milk, and eggs in a medium bowl. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into another bowl.
- Wipe the skillet you used for the rice clean, then heat over high. Add the oil and, when the oil is shimmering, add the egg mixture and immediately use chopsticks to vigorously stir and scramble.
- When the egg is about halfway cooked (this happens quickly!), 30 to 45 seconds, evenly distribute the soft cards across the surface of the pan. Let the eggs cook, undisturbed, to set up slightly, 20 to 25 seconds. Use the chopsticks to loosen the perimeter of the omelette from the pan, then, starting from the edge directly opposite the handle, fold the omelette up about 1-inch.
- Remove the pan from the stove and hold the handle securely with your dominant hand. Use your non dominant hand to briskly tap the top of your wrist to gently roll the omelette over itself and towards you.
- When the omelette is completely rolled, return the pan to the stove to cook for a few seconds, just to seal the seam. Remove from the heat.
Plate & serve
- Remove the mold from the rice. Roll the omelette out of the pan and onto the rice. Serve immediately. At the table, use a thin, sharp knife to slice open the omelette.
- The thin skin of the omelette will unfold and soft scrambled eggs within will pour out over the rice. Drizzle with the remaining ½ cup of barbecue sauce and serve.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Rice Cooker “Claypot” Rice
Quick Seabass Miso Ochazuke
New Zealand Superior Wild Abalone Pasta in Red Wine Cream Sauce
The Golden Platter
Saudi Black Pepper Chicken Chop Rice
Easy Tuna Gimbap
Chef Siti Pasta Rempah
Chicken Capsicum Rice Bowl
Chicken Karaage Bento (Inspired by the Singa Lion)
Shrimp Pad Thai (Thai Rice Noodles)
Roasted Capsicum Paneer Masala with Basmati Rice
One-Pot-Meal Recipe: Chestnut Chicken Rice5.0 (1)
The Four Kings
Chicken Bibimbap (Korean Mixed Rice)
One-Pot Hainanese Chicken Rice5.0 (1)
Curry Fried Rice
Octopus Carpaccio with Kimchi Cream
Prawn and Egg Fried Rice
Chicken Bolognese Spaghetti
Beef Fried Rice