Kombucha Apple Crisp
1:1 Ratio of Flour to Liquid
for the best results, create your starter a few days before baking
How to cook
Prepare the sourdough starter
- Feed the sourdough starter to get it active - it should take about 4 to 8 hours.
Prepare the levain
- Mix the sourdough starter, flour and kombucha apple crisp in a medium bowl until combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it to stand in a nice warm part of the kitchen - overnight works best.
- By morning it should have expanded and look very bubbly.
Prepare the dough
- Combine the levain with half the kombucha apple crisp until smooth before mixing in the remaining kombucha apple crisp.
- Sift the flour and salt, and add it to the wet ingredient mixture.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until a basic rough-looking dough forms.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour.
- Unwrap the bowl, take a corner of the dough in one hand and stretch it away from the dough slightly,
- Fold this stretched piece back on top of the dough, turn the bowl 90 degrees (a quarter turn) and repeat this step three more times.
- Cover the bowl again with the plastic wrap, and set aside in a nice warm place for a further 30 minutes.
- Repeat this process four to five more times until the dough looks uniform and smooth.
- After the final folding, cover again and let it stand for about an hour until the dough is puffed.
Shape the dough
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface.
- Cut the dough into two pieces and shape these two pieces into two loaves.
- At this stage, you can use a loaf tin, proving baskets, a dutch oven, or a baking tray to shape the type of loaf you want.
- Use non-stick baking paper to line or place the loaf for baking.
- Once shaped, cover your loaves with a floured tea towel, oiled plastic wrap or baking paper, and let it stand somewhere warm and draught-free for a final rising.
- Preheat the oven to 240°C (220°C fan forced).
- Place the loaves in the oven and place a handful of ice cubes into the bottom of the oven - this will help create a great crust!
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature by 20°C (220°C, or 200°C fan-forced).
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes until the crust has a nice deep colour to it, and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Take the loaves out of the oven to cool on a wire rack for about 1 hour.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Choux Puffs with Aged Gouda and Truffle Cream
Peach & Blueberry Cheesecake
Rudolph Butter Cupcakes
Just 5 Minutes: Garlic Cheesy Bread5.0 (3)
Pandan Gula Melaka Cake5.0 (1)
Kellogg’s Rendang Crisps
Honey Walnut Cake5.0 (1)
Easy Homemade Churros
Rendang Shepherd’s Pie
Lotus Mooncake Cookies
French Almond Apple Tart3.5 (4)
Galaxy Lemonade Soda
Blueberry Muffins with Organic Millet Quinoa Oatmeal2.0 (1)
Kellogg’s Lace Nibbles
Giant Oatmeal Cookies
Naan Con Cubanos Fixin’
Chocolate Button Cookies2.0 (1)