Glutinous Rice Balls ‘Tang Yuan’ with Black Sesame Paste
Gathering more reviews
·Rate this recipe
Glutinous Rice Flour
Red Food Colouring
Black Sesame Powder
(thickly sliced or bruised)
Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar)
How to cook
For Basic Tang Yuan
- Add water a little at a time to the flour to make a pliable dough that is not too wet. The tension should feel like the bottom of your ear lobe.
- Roll into balls of about 1″ in diameter. (Optional: Separate a portion of the dough, add the food colouring, knead and roll into balls.)
- Cover with a wet towel while not being used to prevent it from drying out.
- Prepare a large, preferably wide bowl or pot and fill with iced water or water at room temperature.
- Boil at least 3″ of water in a pot. Add each ball into the boiling water.
- Once a ball floats, scoop it out and transfer to the iced water to stop it from cooking and prevent sticking.
- Serve ‘tang yuan’ balls in a bowl of ginger syrup.
For Black Sesame Tang Yuan
- Mix black sesame powder with clarified butter and gula melaka. Microwave for 30 seconds if the butter is not soft enough.
- Make the tang yuan dough using the Basic Tang Yuan recipe (above).
- Flatten a ball of dough into a circular shape. Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of stuffing and carefully wrap the dough around it.
- Cook and serve the ‘tang yuan’ balls in a bowl of ginger syrup.
Prepare the ginger syrup
- Boil water in a pot.
- Add ginger, pandan leaves and rock sugar (adjust according to taste).
- Boil for about 5 minutes. Remove the ginger and pandan leaves.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Thai Mango Sticky Rice
Braised chicken wings with ginger and sesame oil
Golden Chef South African Baby Abalone with Korean Rice Cake
Stewed Mushroom with Broccoli
Eight treasure rice
Sugar-Free Tang Yuan
Thai Pork Ball Porridge
Prawn Paste Mushrooms & Shabu Rolls5.0 (1)
Rose-Flavoured Glutinous Rice Balls
Air-Fried Tang Yuan
Stir-Fried Spring Onion Ginger Fish with Fragrant Sesame Oil
Vegetable Spring Rolls
Rice Cooker “Claypot” Rice
Wok-Fried Tangy Prawns with Sesame Soy Dressing
Purple Sweet Potato Onde-Onde Energy Balls
Laksa Baked Rice
Yuan Yang Caramel Snowskin Mooncake
Rice Cooker Laksa Fried Rice4.3 (3)
Durian Sticky Rice
Cow with tiger head bento